Friday, January 22, 2010

Enjoying the Rain!

It has been such a long time since I last 'Blogged'. I believe "no news is good news"! The last month has been a time of enjoying lots of movies, meals with friends, rain (tons of rain!) & radiation. Every day! Monday thru Friday. At 3:10. (1510 for those of you who do Military time). Radiation itself is not too bad. I lay on a table (very skinny, much like our OR table) & the techs position me exactly as determined by my radiation oncologist. This HUGE machine & a beautiful neon green imaging light move around me & aim for the specific places. I get a total of four "zaps". Each lasts about 20-60 seconds. I say a little prayer/meditation with each & every zap, each & every time. The techs, Kim & Peggy, are wonderful; funny, smart, & quick.
My last treatment date WAS scheduled for january 29th. BUT! Dr. Blount feels that one more week with the NEWER machine is needed before my treatment is complete.IntraOperative Electron Radiation Therapy (or "IOERT") is the application of electron radiation directly to the residual tumor or tumor bed during, or after cancer surgery. IOERT has been called "precision radiotherapy", as the physician has direct visualization of the tumor, can exclude normal tissue from the field, and can also protect critical structures within the field. IOERT is a method that provides dose escalation as a precision component of radiotherapy. IOERT has been used in combination with EBRT as it results in less integral doses and shorter treatment times.
(from Wikipedia) Since a couple of my tumors/ lymph nodes were near or on my sternum & clavicle this type of radiation is recommended. Thus, my treatment now ends on February 5th.
My last & final surgery is scheduled for February 26th~ giving my skin a chance to heal.
I am looking forward to returning to work very early April (or sooner). I can't wait to have a "Normal" life again!
My hair is back. I must say I am loving my short hair "Mia Farrow" look. It is fun & easy. My eyebrows & lashes have returned with gusto.
Life is good!
I send a HUGE shout out to all of my peeps for their support, love, encouragement, & laughter! There is not a day that goes by that I don't fully appreciate how blessed I am on this incredible journey called LIFE!

2 comments:

  1. I so love U Syd and it makes me happy to hear all the wonderful news! I'll call soon. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have read your last blog... I had been checking and always seeing your "surprise surgery" in Dec. I'm very glad to hear that your hair, etc. is coming back with a vengeance to match your spirit and determination. Keep up the good work, along with your prayers and meditations.
    Love, Gail S.

    ReplyDelete